Friday, January 25, 2013

Waiter Serves Tolerance, Defends Special Needs Child

This story brought tears to my eyes.  Yes, there I go showcasing that sensitivity again.  But the story demonstrates, as the mother of the special needs child explains to NBC News, “I was impressed that somebody would step out of their own comfort level and put their job on the line as well as to stand up for somebody else,” she said. “I know Michael did it from his heart, and from reacting to the situation. I don’t think he stopped and thought about what he was doing.”

Photo by Kim Castillo
The story is, a couple entered and was seated at a local restaurant with their Downs Syndrome child.  Customers near them asked the waiter if they could be moved from the family.  The waiter, explains,
“I heard the man say, ‘Special needs children need to be special somewhere else,’” Garcia told NBC affiliate KPRC-TV in. “My personal feelings took over, and I told him, ‘I’m not going to be able to serve you, Sir.’”

“‘How could you say that?’” Garcia said he asked the man before he left the restaurant with his party. “‘How could you say that about a beautiful 5-year-old angel?’”

 The report continues:  As news of Garcia’s action spread across the Internet, with praise for him on the restaurant’s Facebook page and elsewhere, customers have been seeking out Garcia... (The child's mother)  hopes that the story of Garcia’s kindness will lead to greater tolerance for others, especially for those like Milo, who look different than other kids.

“It’s just impressive to see the outpouring of love and support,” she said, adding that she hopes the story encourages “people to stand up for other people who can’t stand up for themselves and that it's worth taking the risk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment