The Mirror UK recently reported, "In a speech at a British embassy reception on Washington's Capitol Hill, attended by US policy-makers, supporters of the anti-landmine charity and potential donors, Harry said: "My mother, who believed passionately in this cause, would be proud of my association with Halo.
"In her special way, she adopted it as her own. She would join me - along with all of you, I'm sure - in praising Halo for the amazing work that it has done over the past quarter century, and in hoping that one day soon its humanitarian work will be done."
From the Halo Trust website:
By March 2013, twenty-four years after founding HALO, we have reached some important milestones that include:
- Over 1.4 million landmines destroyed
- Over 11 million items of larger calibre ordnance destroyed
- Over 206,000 cluster munitions destroyed
- Over 53 million bullets destroyed
- Over 3,300 heavy weapon systems immobilised
- Over 160,000 assault rifles destroyed
- Over 9,900 minefields cleared
- 31,413 hectares (77,623 acres) made safe from landmines
- 143,799 hectares (355,334 acres) made safe from unexploded and abandoned ordnance
- 14,374 kilometres (8,932 miles) of roads cleared