Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Day Compassion Trumped Violence

Antoinette Tuff.  CNN photo
On August 20, Michael Brandon Hill walked into an Atlanta school carrying an AK-47, but bookkeeper
Antoinette Tuff did not run away. Instead, she tried to build a bridge with the troubled young man by sharing stories of heartbreak from her own life, like a recent divorce and a son with multiple disabilities.
A 911 recording captured Tuff’s tense conversation with Hill:
It’s going to be all right, sweetie, I just want you to know I love you, though, OK? And I’m proud of you. That’s a good thing that you’re just giving up and don’t worry about it. We all go through something in life. No, you don’t want that. You going to be OK. I thought the same thing, you know, I tried to commit suicide last year after my husband left me. But look at me now. I’m still working and everything is OK.
Hill put down his gun and surrendered to police.

Source:  Greater Good

No comments:

Post a Comment