|C. Coimbra Photo|
Mounting evidence of the impact of contemplative practices like meditation (which we now know can, quite literally, rewire the brain) are finally bringing modern science up to speed with ancient wisdom.
Mindfulness and compassion -- the practices of cultivating a focused awareness on the present moment, and extending a loving awareness to others -- are part of every religion and wisdom tradition, and we're at last beginning to understand the profound impact that they have on the brain, says psychiatrist and mindfulness expert Dr. Dan Siegel…
…Here's what recent findings in neuroscience and neurobiology can teach us about compassion.
- We can change the brain through changing the mind.
- We can increase our capacity for compassion through integration.
- Being mindful can help us become more compassionate.
- Healthy relationships can boost your brain power.
- Compassion is integration of the mind made visible.
To read the entire story, click the link in the title above.