Monday, August 11, 2014

Be a One-Percenter! Give 1% of Your Time to Service

The website, good.isput forth the following challenge: 

We can do better than good. Together, we can be great.  As Martin Luther King, Jr. put it, "Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve." 

…Spend one percent of your work hours this year (that's 20 hours) changing a small corner of your world for the better.

Pages and pages of comment from everyday persons read like this:


  • I volunteer in my local public elementary school in NYC with both the Lego Robotics program and the organic farming and gardening initiative. Both program enrich the education of our community's children to think out of the box.


  • I've dedicated my time to organization Honeylove this year. They're trying to legalize urban beekeeping in LA


  • I volunteer as a crisis interventionist on Common Ground's (Oakland County, MI, USA) crisis telephone line.

  • Last week I went with my Rotary group to prepare and serve dinner at a homeless youth drop-in center in Venice, CA. These are mostly teenage kids who are homeless and/or living in very poor circumstances.

  • Devoting three months of service in Africa, 6 months here in the US... The more people get involved, the bigger the impact. I'm leaving for Kenya in two days, yes Kenya, despite what's happening there now, I've made this commitment to the people there. 


  • One of the ways I am giving back is working hard to fund-raise as well as participate in a Make-A-Wish rafting event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment