Friday, March 13, 2015

Hug a Muslim

There’s no disputing that Torontonians are friendlier than New Yorkers, but can one of the world’s “toughest” cities handle a hug? Recently, New York actor Karim Metwaly re-created a popular Canadian social experiment meant to promote tolerance and understanding of Islam, asking only that you give him a squeeze. In the experiment, originally staged in January by activist Asoomii Jay in Toronto's Yonge-Dundas Square, a young Muslim is blindfolded, holding up a sign that reads "I'm Muslim and I Trust You. Do You Trust me Enough for a Hug?"

Jay created the original experiment, called the Blind Trust Project, in response to rising Islamophobia, hate crimes, and bullying. In the video, she stood between two signs reading, "I am a Muslim, I am Labeled as a Terrorist", and "I trust you, do you trust me? Give me a hug." Jay recently told the CBC she has been inspired by the popularity of the project, which currently has 1.8 million views on YouTube: "To see so many positive reactions, it's touching and inspiring.”


--From Good.Is


No comments:

Post a Comment