|C. Coimbra photo|
Have you ever challenged yourself to not buy one single piece of plastic when grocery shopping? It’s a challenge worthy of marathon efforts. Plastic is a part of our everyday life. But there are ways that busy people can reduce, refuse, repurpose and recycle the plastics that come our way no matter what.
We’ve cherry-picked from NationSwell ten ways to lessen plastic in our lives:
- Purchase beverages in glass or metal containers.
- For condiments such as ketchup, mustard and salad dressing, choose varieties that come in glass jars instead of squeeze bottles.
- Skip the freezer section. While TV dinners may be convenient, they tend to come wrapped in excessive packaging.
- Clean your home with all-natural ingredients that you might find in your kitchen — baking soda, lemons, vinegar — rather than buying bottles of toilet cleaner and bleach.
- For parties or at work, avoid using disposable cups and plastic utensils. Use real silverware and cups and wash them later or purchase compostable ones.
- Instead of using plastic tablecloths for parties and events, use the cloth table covers stored in your linen closet.
- At the dry cleaners, bring your own garment bag for pickups or ask for your clothes to be returned free of plastic wrap.
- Place a lid or a plate on top of leftovers instead of reaching for plastic wrap. Mason jars or ceramic containers are also a great alternative to Tupperware and Ziploc baggies.
- Wrap food in aluminum foil or try beeswax-coated food wraps that can be used repeatedly.
- Reuse the bags that hold baked goods like bread for cleaning up after your dog.