understand. Here are just five of the things that make elephants special.
1. A male Asian elephant named Koshik – can imitate human speech – matching Korean speech format frequencies in such detail that Korean native speakers can readily understand and transcribe the imitations.
2. Elephants are the only non-human species known to mourn their dead. Researchers have documented many instances of death rituals at which elephants will somberly visit the bones of other dead elephants.
3. You know that old saying about how an elephant never forgets? Well, it’s amazing what they can remember. Research has shown than an elephant matriarch can keep track of up to 30 herd-mates at a time. Researcher Richard Byrne concludes that elephant memories are "far in advance of anything other animals have been shown to have."
4. Elephants are capable of expressing complex thoughts such as warning others of danger, reconciling differences and communicating needs and desires using a system of visual and acoustic signals. Amazingly, recent discoveries show that most vocal calls are at a frequency that humans can’t even hear!
5. Overhunting by humans is believed to be a factor in both mastodon and mammoth extinctions. Stopping poaching and illegal wildlife trafficking in elephant ivory will be essential in order to stop Asian and African elephants from suffering the same fate.
--From Defenders of Wildlife
Here are the names of some of the elephant conservation organizations around the world.
The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee
Save the Elephants
Sri Lanka Wildlife Conservation Society
Wildlife Trust of India
World Land Trust
The Performing Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
Elephant Nature Park
Bring the Elephants Home
Udawalawe National Park
Friends of the Asian Elephant
Burn the Ivory
Elephants for Africa
Big Life Foundation
International Elephant Project
Tembe Elephant Park
Wildlife in Warzones
Think Elephants International
Asian Elephant Support
African Conservation Foundation
Save the Elephants of Africa
The Green Guard Nature Organization
The Mali Elephant Project
Elephants Without Borders
March for Elephants (San Francisco)
Asian Elephant Art & Conservation Project
The Wildlife Connection
Veterans Empowered to Protect African Wildlife
Safeguarding a Future for Africa’s Elephants (S.A.F.E.)
The Bodhi Tree Foundation
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
The WILD Foundation
Ivory For Elephants (IFE)
Amboseli Trust for Elephants
The Kerulos Center
The Billy & Kani Fund
A Rocha India
David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation
Space for Giants