|C. Coimbra photo|
The Center for Family Strengthening (AKA San Luis Obispo County Child Abuse Prevention Council), a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization was founded by a group of concerned citizens and professionals. San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors, in 1988, designated Center for Family Strengthening as the self-governing entity responsible for local efforts to prevent and respond to child abuse and neglect. To learn more about the purpose of Child Abuse Prevention Councils, click the CAPCfactSheet link.
Child abuse is preventable by strengthening families and fostering healthy development of children. Working with the Community, the Center for Family Strengthening prevents child abuse by offering programs that make systemic changes in lives of families. And it works. Despite a crushing recession and an increasing county population we’ve achieved a 12% decrease in cases of child abuse in SLO County.
The nonprofit offers:
- Parent Connection -- parenting skills classes and coaching skills,
- Supports mothers with the Postpartum Depression Support Line.
- Kidz Toolbox for Personal Safety, we teach child protective and safety skills.
- Beginnings program offers prenatal substance use education and ongoing public awareness activities .
- Train professionals on their mandated reporter of suspected child abuse responsibilities’ and educate the community on child abuse reporting laws.
- Promotores Collaborative is a volunteer team of Spanish-speaking members who connect to families in need.
- Public Health programs to make dental care accessible to the thousands of children in this county who do not qualify for MediCal.
- Partnership for Excellence in Family Support, a network of county-wide Family Resource Centers to provide families with high quality services.