Saturday, July 16, 2016

Police Show Compassion for Homeless College Student



---from KFOR on July 15, 2016
BARNESVILLE, Ga. – Fred Barley is just 19-years-old but he is already inspiring families across the country.

On Saturday, officers were called to the Gordon State College campus after someone reported that a man was sleeping in a tent in the bushes.

That’s where police first met Fred Barley.

Barley is homeless and a college student at Gordon State.

According to WSB, he told police that he rode his brother’s bicycle six hours to register for classes at the college and then began looking for a job.

He says told FOX 5 that he knew all the jobs would be taken once college students got back to campus, so he wanted a head start.

The officers helped Barley pack up his things and took him to a nearby motel, where they paid for a room for two nights.

“The stuff that’s happening with police officers, I am black and he didn’t care what color I was. He just helped me, and that meant a lot,” Barley told WSB.

Barley says he was simply doing everything he could to succeed.

“The Bible says, ‘You can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,’ so I know I can,” he said. “My legs are working. Millions of people walk and bike to work every day. I definitely think I can bike a couple hours to get to my future.”

One of the officers’ wives posted Barley’s story on Facebook, and received hundreds of responses.

One woman and the motel owner paid for him to stay in the motel until he can get into the dorms at Gordon State, which are allowing him to move in early.

A local pizzeria also created a position for Barley, adding that they will gladly work around his school schedule.

Strangers have donated clothes, school supplies and money to help Barley, who hopes to go to medical school in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment