|C. Coimbra photo|
Editor's Note: The Daily Prism senses that many of its readers are interested in inward personal growth, and that many readers do work toward service to others, or are considering giving more of their energy to service. The following is excerpted from an essay, "How Meditation Benefits Everyone Around You" written by Roger Gabriel (Raghavanand). We have condensed the essay to bullet point tips of how one might go into a meditation that reenergizes the workings of a person who might become drained by others while in service to others. Click the link above to read the entire essay.
Whenever working with other people, I recommend tapping into the Cosmic Energy (Love, Light)—the cosmos have infinite resources. A simple technique for this is to follow these steps:
- Bring your awareness to your heart center (mid-chest) and breathe normally here.
- Move your awareness to your crown chakra (top of your head) and take a few breaths here.
- Now become aware or imagine a tube of light rising upward from the top of your head.
- Still conscious of your breathing, allow your awareness to begin rising slowly up this tube of light.
- Continue rising until you become aware or imagine reaching your Higher Self about 2 to 3 feet above your head (your Higher Self is actually non-local but the process is easier, at least in the beginning, if we think of it in a fixed place).
- Breathe into your Higher Self.
- Be aware or imagine the infinite Pure Energy (Light, Love) of your Higher self.
- With an in-breath, begin drawing that Energy down through the tube of light and in through the top of your head.
- Breathe it down to your heart center; fill your heart center.
- Now as you exhale, allow that Energy to expand to all the different parts of your body. Fill your whole body with Cosmic Energy. Feel every cell charged with Cosmic Energy.
- If you wish, you can expand the Energy beyond your physical body into your subtle body, to create a halo of energy around you.
- You can use this Energy for good, in whatever way you choose. You can direct it to flow out through your hands, you could project it from your heart center, or you can keep it within to maximize your own energy. The great advantage of working with Cosmic Energy in this way is whatever you share with others is coming through you and not from you. With practice, you can share Energy, Love, or Light all day without feeling tired or drained. All the Energy flowing though you will be energizing you.
Whether your motives for practicing meditation are personal or more altruistic, the effects for the world will be the same. Everyone benefits!
--From The Chopra Center