---From the Summer of Peace
It’s difficult to make sense of what we see and hear through social media, the news or in our own hometowns — bombings, rampant shootings, racially-motivated crimes and terrorist attacks fill our screens. Our hearts break repeatedly as we witness conflict and military responses in the Middle East, as well as the devastation in Syria and floods of refugees fleeing their homelands...
We’re left wondering how this is even happening and, more importantly, how it can be stopped.
However, there’s good news... brilliant minds and hearts, from both governmental and non-governmental peacebuilding organizations, are giving critical thought to the most effective ways to counter violent actions. These experts understand that countering violent extremism is a complex challenge that requires addressing fundamental social problems and political drivers through a society-wide comprehensive approach.
We can’t address extremism with short-term or fear-based thinking.
Join us for the Countering Violent Extremism Summit, August 10-11, produced by The Shift Network in partnership with Alliance of Peacebuilding. Our hosts and guest speakers will answer your most pressing questions about terrorism — and empower you with accessible, relevant solutions. Plus you’ll hear stories that will restore your hope for our global family.
We’re convening global leaders — non-governmental organizations, government agencies and social science experts — who will engage in thoughtful (and thought-provoking) conversations, exploring:
- Evidence-based research on the drivers of extremism
- Innovative peacebuilding approaches to counter violent extremism
- Current gaps and challenges in preventing and countering violent extremism
- The role of technology, especially social media, in addressing the violence
- The real drivers of violent extremism
- Links between the drivers of violent extremism — and peacebuilding approaches that help abate them
- Ideas for what you can do in your own life & community to address these complex issues
- Exactly how US policies affect extremism
- A greater understanding as to why young men and women are recruited to these organizations and why they say yes to participating
- Responses from experts to the concern that military responses feed terrorist recruiters
Plus, you’ll discover practical ways to support efforts that counter violent extremism — from personal and political action to bridging divides in your own community!
You may be surprised at the sophistication and accessibility of these new approaches. This summit will take a complex and fearful situation and make it more tangible and less frightening. At the end of this summit, participants will be left with greater understanding and a sense of hope.
Please join us. Countering Violent Extremism